For the month of November, many people are posting something everyday for which they are thankful. In some ways, it’s a great idea, but, in others, the notion is trite at best. It reminds me of 7th grade English with Mrs. Hinkle. We had to write ten things everyday for the entire year. This year I didn’t want to miss out on the fun. However, I wanted to share my list all at once instead of day by day.
1. Family–Can’t wait to see them in 15 days!! Amazing people. If you haven’t met the Perkins fam, you are truly missing out.
2. Friends–I have the best friends ever. I know some amazing people. I feel to blessed and honored to know them. (You know who you are <3)
3. Technology–Because of technology (Skype, email, various google services), I have been able to see and hear those mentioned above.
4. Amazing opportunities–For those of you keeping count, I've been to 9 countries this year (small chance #10 will happen this week, but more on that later). To put that in perspective, in May, I had never even been outside of the US. Some of that travel has been for pleasure, some for missions, some for school. I've had the opportunity to spend 2.5 months in Romania. In 15 days, I will be taking my 8th trans-Atlantic flight. In January, I'll be taking trans-Atlantic flight #9.
5. Home–No matter where I am in the world, I always know where home is. Not only that, I have multiple cities I can call home because of the people there who love me.
6. USA–I've never been particularly patriotic. However, I think travel and being away from home for extended periods of time is changing that a little. If nothing else, I now have a very deep appreciation for the opportunities, infrastructure, lifestyle, etc.
7. Safety–While I haven't been anywhere super dangerous, not everywhere I have been has been the safest, either. I have not had any problems at all, nothing stolen, no injuries or major illnesses, no unfortunate confrontations, no issues crossing borders, etc. Everything has gone smoothly.
8. New People–I've met many amazing people over the last 6 months, people who are using their lives to serve the poor and broken.
9. Water–Clean water to drink, flush toilets, hot water, the works.
10. Marriage–My BFF got married to a man who loves her.
11. 3 weeks–I get three weeks in DC in December. It won't feel like enough, but I will treasure every moment. It will truly be a gift. (Speaking off, feel free to fight amongst yourselves for where I will stay).
12. Dreams–I feel so thankful that God has put dreams in my heart for the future. Now if someone would only invent a transport beam of some sort so I would always be able to visit my friends during this crazy journey….
13. Food–Those who know me know I love food. I love the experience of food, and I have definitely had some…experiences…this year. I have tried some amazing dishes and some not so great dishes. Even the gross ones, though, still lend excellent stories. On top of that, I am so thankful I do not have to worry about when my next meal will be.
I have a lot more than 13 things for which I'm thankful, but I made the mistake of typing this post on my iPod. I feel like I'm typing at a snail's pace. So, I will stop here for now. I think I've covered the most important things.
What are you thankful for?